Shiva Consultancy works with your management and production teams to examine the production requirements and assists you in designing a plant layout that best fits your organizational needs. We also assist you to identify, evaluate, and procure material handling equipment that would add value to your overall operations.
Plant layout refers to the arrangement of physical facilities such as machines, equipment, tools, furniture etc. in such a manner so as to have quickest flow of material at the lowest cost and with the least amount of handling in processing the product from the receipt of raw material to the delivery of the final product.
Objectives of good Plant Layout: A well designed plant layout is one that can be beneficial in achieving the following objectives:.
- Proper and efficient utilization of available floor space
- Transportation of work from one point to another point without any delay
- Proper utilization of production capacity
- Reduce material handling costs
- Utilize labour efficiently
- Reduce accidents
- Provide for volume and product flexibility
- Provide ease of supervision and control
- Provide for employee safety and health
- Allow easy maintenance of machines and plant
- Improve productivity
TYPES OF LAYOUT:
- Product or line layout
- Process or functional layout
- Fixed position or location layout
- Combined or group layout
Advantages of Plant layout:
- Low cost of material handling, due to straight and short route and absence of backtracking
- Smooth and continuous operations
- Continuous flow of work
- Lesser inventory and work-in progress
- Optimum use of floor space
- Simple and effective inspection of work and simplified production control
- The overhead costs are relatively low
- Breakdown of one machine does not disturb the production process.
- Supervision can be more effective and specialized.
- Greater flexibility of resources
- The layout is flexible as change in job design and operation sequence can be easily incorporated.